Friday, August 1, 2008

First Post

If blame must be laid, it rightfully belongs to my paternal grandmother. My favorite book when I was three years old was a Little Golden Book about Mickey Mouse and Goofy taking a rocket to the moon. She read it to me every time I asked and I feel certain it set the stage for my taste in books as I got older.
Since that time, I've read thousands of science fiction titles. And like most everyone on the planet, I have an opinion.
So, at the behest of a few friends, I'm going to talk about some of them. The good, the bad and the the ones that would have made good toilet paper.

You don't have to agree with me and you don't have to like what I like, but if you are going to comment, I'd appreciate it if we could keep it civil. Bottom line, if you don't like what I say, don't click on the link...

I read a lot of sci-fi, but as any fan knows, our favorite authors feel as though they are entitled to a life outside of writing things for us to read and so it can be months, or even years, between releases, so you have to fill the time with something. So, to start off the blog, here's a list of things to read while you're waiting for the next book about Honor Harrington, Daniel Leary, William Weaver or Ghost...

In no particular order...

The Richard Sharpe novels by Bernard Cornwell
Dirk Pitt novels by Clive Cussler (as well as the NUMA files books and the Oregon files books)
Any collection of stories by H.P Lovecraft
Sherlock Holmes
Titus Crowe by Brian Lumley
Necroscope by Brian Lumley
The Horatio Hornblower novels by C. S. Forester
The Cthulhu Mythos stories of August Derleth
The Flashman novels of George Macdonald Fraser
The Seventh Scroll by Wilbur Smith
The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet
Any book by Tom Clancy
Iron John by Robert Bligh
Hercule Poirot stories by Agatha Christie
Miss Marple stories by Agatha Christie
The Anita Blake and Merry Gentry novels by Laurell K Hamilton
Venus Envy by Rita Mae Brown
Rumi
ee cummings (all of his poetry)
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
The Prince by Niccolò Machiavelli
The Art of War by Sun Tzu
Siddhartha by Herman Hess
Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carrol (especially the annotated one...it tells you about the puzzles and logic problems that are sprinkled throughout the book...)
Urban Shaman by C.E. Murphy (and the rest of the Walker Papers, too...)
A Hymn Before Battle by John Ringo (and the rest of the Posleen series...)
Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards
Letters to a Young Poet by Rainer Maria Rilke

It's late...I'm tired of thinking...that's enough to get you started






No comments: